Homemade vegan burger / hamburger végétalien / همبرگر وگان
So tasty with the classic combo of lettuce, slices of red onion, tomato, pickles, ketchup, mustard, vegan mayo, and vegan cheddar!
Ingredients for burger patties:
1 cup cooked wild rice
1 1/3 cups soft black beans (I soak dried beans in water for several hours and then soften them more if needed in boiling water)
1 celery stalk
8 cremini mushrooms
1/4 red onion
2 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups spelt bread crumbs
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chia seeds
Olive oil (for frying and grilling)
1. Put onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrot, celery in food processor and pulse until finely chopped (finely chopped veggie mix).
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan over med-high heat, sautée the finely chopped veggie mix until tender and season with salt (sautée mix). Take off heat and set aside.
3. Put soft black beans in food processor, pulse until finely chopped. Add to sautée mix.
4. Add rice, spelt bread crumbs, chia seeds, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, and lemon juice to sautée mix. Mix well.
5. Cover and place mix in fridge for at least an hour.
6. Shape patties, and grill to your liking. Use extra olive oil to coat your patties or grill, if you desire. I used an indoor grill that has a top and bottom grill, on medium heat and grilled the patties (brushed with a bit of olive oil) for a total of 6 mins. I placed a slice of vegan cheddar on the patty for the last minute of grilling (if you do this in the last minute and your grill has a top lid, be sure not to fully close the top lid after you put on the cheese slice).
7. Enjoy with your favourite burger toppings!
This recipe yields about 10 large patties in total.