Indian-inspired Coconut Curry Lentil Balls. Loved this recipe. 😍
Ingredients for Lentil Balls:
6 oz firm tofu, drained, blotted and roughly chopped
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup green or brown lentils
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
Ingredients for Coconut Curry sauce:
13.5 oz coconut milk
1 tablespoon dried fenugreek
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1-2 teaspoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pinch of black pepper
Directions for Lentil Balls:
1. Add 3 cups of water to a small pot, along with the lentils and fennel seeds. Bring to a boil, and simmer on low for 25 mins. Drain water and set aside.
2. Cook the quinoa by putting it in a small pot with 2 cup of water. On high heat, bring to a boil. Then cover and let simmer on low for 15 mins. Set aside when done with cover on.
3. In a food processor, coarsely pulse the quinoa and half of the lentils. Empty into a large bowl and mix in the remaining lentils, salt, garlic powder, and chopped cilantro. Make sure to mix well.
4. In food processor, mix tofu and olive oil well until it is smooth. Then add to bowl with lentils and mix well.
5. Preheat oven to 400F and prepare a parchment-liked baking pan. Then start shaping the lentil balls with your hands. They should be about the size of ping pong balls. 🏓 Place the shaped balls on the parchment-lined baking pan.
6. Bake for 20-25 mins at 400F.
Directions for Coconut Curry sauce:
1. Warm the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté garlic and ginger until they are lightly golden. add turmeric and sauté for 1 more minute. Add tomato and sauce for about 5-8 mins until most of its water has evaporated. Add coconut milk, fenugreek, lime juice, brown sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Mix well. Add more salt and pepper to taste if needed. Bring to a simmer and then turn heat off.
2. Add lentils to sauce, garnish with cilantro, and enjoy! I added a side of vegan naan to soak up the tasty coconut curry sauce.