Modified Khoresh Laboo (Persian-inspired vegan beet stew – خورش لبو) starring: 💫 beets and more! Full recipe below. 🌱
Ingredients for khoresh:
3 medium beets, peeled and cut into 1.25 inch pieces
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1.25 inch pieces
60g dried yellow split peas
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1 tablespoon tomato paste 🍅
4 limu amani (dried limes), cut with seeds removed
1 teabag filled with about 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 inch cube of finely grated fresh ginger
2 small red chilled, chopped with seeds discarded
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
A few saffron strands, ground
4 cardamom pods, ground
Salt (to taste)
Directions for khoresh:
1. Heat a bit of olive oil in a pot over led-high heat. Once oil is hot, add onions and cook until golden brown.
2. Add turmeric, cumin, cinnamon teabag, cardamom, saffron, and tomato paste. Stir and cook for about 2-3 mins.
3. Add beets, carrots, ginger, red chilies, and add just enough water to cover vegetables. Add in limu amani and make sure they are fully emerged in water so that they soften.
4. Increase heat to high until you reach a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook for about 10 mins more (or until beets are tender).
5. Add split peas, stirring gently. Increase heat to medium-high until boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until sauce is thick.
6. When the sauce has thickened to a good consistency, add in pomegranate molasses and stir gently. Season with salt to taste.
7. Remove the cinnamon teabag and serve khoresh with a side of rice and tahdig.
Nooshe jan – I hope you enjoy!