Newsworthy in 2020: we had a guest over for dinner! 😄Paired this Mafé-inspired sauce with portobello mushrooms, sautéed kale with garlic, rice and tahdig. The food was good and the company was great!
Ingredients for Mafé-inspired portabello mushrooms, sauce, and garlic kale:
10 portobello mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, stems removed
1 inch piece ginger, minced
2 scallions, chopped with green and white bits separated
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 can coconut milk
1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon spice mix (comprised of equal parts: ground fennel seeds, paprika, white pepper, black pepper, ground chipotle pepper, ground coriander seeds)
1. Whisk peanut butter and 1/4 cup water in a bowl.
2. Salt and pepper portobello mushrooms. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a an over medium heat. Cook portobello mushrooms for about 4 mins on each side. Set aside when done.
3. Use the same pan to make the garlic kale. If the bottom of pan has dried up, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. On medium-high heat, add kale and garlic, season with salt and pepper, stirring for 1-2 mins. Add 1/2 cup water, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for 3-5 mins kale has wilted and the water has evaporated. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
4. Wipe bottom of same pan. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Mix in ginger, white parts of chopped scallions, and spice mix. Cook for 1-2 mins while stirring.
5. Add in peanut butter mix, coconut milk, and rice vinegar. Mix well.
6. Add portobello mushrooms to sauce in pan and coat them with the sauce. Keep on mes-high heat until sauce starts simmering, then reduce heat and cook until sauce thickens (about 10-20 mins), stirring occasionally.
7. Serve with garlic kale and a side of rice. Top with green scallions.
This recipe is inspired by Mafé, a dish common to several countries in West Africa. I decided to serve it with tahdig (crispy rice that is common in Iranian cuisine). I will make a separate post on tahdig with my own family recipe in the near future!