Saucier (and improved) Vegan Pad Thai – we are always looking to improve our recipes in this household. This is the product of some experimentation. Our best homemade Pad Thai to date! 😄
8 oz flat rice noodles
8 oz extra form tofu, excess liquid pressed out and tofu cut into 2 cm pieces
3 tablespoons peanut oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh bean or soy sprouts
3 green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
1/2 cup roasted peanuts, roughly crushed
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
6 tablespoons vegan ‘fish’ sauce (we made our own ing the « 5 ingredient vegetarian fish sauce » recipe, which includes dulse)
4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1.5 tablespoon sriracha sauce
2 tablespoon tamari
6 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
1. Cook the noodles using the instruction on their packaging (I let mine sit in a bowl of boiling water off heat for about 30 mins, stirring occasionally so they didn’t stick together)
2. Mix all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
3. In a pan over medium-high heat, fry tofu cubes on all sides in the oil for about 2 minutes until they are slightly golden. Add the garlic and red bell pepper slices to the pan, and fry for about 3-4 minutes more while you keep stirring.
4. Add noodles, sauce, sprouts, and 2/3 of peanuts to the pan. Mix well and turn off heat.
5. Top with chopped cilantro, green onions, and the remaining 1/3 of crushed peanuts.