Tasty grilled potato patties stuffed with mushrooms, vegan cheese, and a side of sautéed veggies. Potato patties were modified from a recipe that used both meat and an egg. I omitted the meat stuffing and replaced with sautéed mushrooms, and I used 1 tablespoon of chia seeds soaked in 1/3 cup of water for 15 mins as an egg substitute. Full recipe with vegan modifications below.
750 grams potatoes (I used russet)
50 grams breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon chia seeds soaked in 1/3 cup of water for 15 mins (“egg substitute” mixture)
1 teaspoon ground rosemary
400 grams cremini mushrooms
1 tablespoon thyme
3 cloves minced garlic
Vegan cheese (I used vegan cheddar slices)
1. Peel potatoes, cut in half, and place in pot of boiling water making sure potatoes are fully submerged. When potatoes are tender enough to make mashed potatoes, take out of water, let cool a bit.
2. Mash potatoes, mix well with egg substitute mixture, rosemary, and breadcrumbs.
3. Shape the potato mix into squares that are a bit bigger than your cheese slices. These potato mix squares will be the shell of your final patties so for each patty you will need two potato squares. I was able to make 6 potato squares (yields 3 patties) with mine. To give you a sense of the size, the above photo only has half of one patty on the plate.
4. Slice mushrooms and sautée in a pan with a bit of olive oil, over med-high heat. Once the water has evaporated from the mushrooms, add minced garlic and thyme and sautée for one more minute.
5. Place vegan cheese and mushroom filling onto one of the potato mix squares. Place another potato mix square on top and carefully pinch the edge of entire square circumference so that the filling is fully enclosed.
6. Repeat step 5 with remaining potato mix squares, mushroom filling, and cheese.
7. Grill patties until they are done to your liking. I used an indoor grill and left them on until I saw some nice brown grill marks. Bon appétit!